Ghana Pics

Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Warning: the car is backing up."

Yesterday, five of us (yes, that's one more than capacity) took a cab that, when it would back up, a loudspeaker would turn on saying "warning: the car is backing up." Plus, he had an Australian flag on his car, which greatly pleased our Australian RA. We thought this driver was a keeper, so that kind of makes up for other Koforidua taxi drivers. Well, almost.

This afternoon a couple of us explored Koforidua a bit more, and found some cool Ghanaian-print cloth dealers, popularly known here as GTP and ATL. My readers from last year may recall a photo of me in my ATL-branded kente shirt, which I still proudly own and wear (along with three others). I just realized that I'm also wearing that shirt in my blogger profile picture. Anyways, we found some cloth, wandered about the city until we came across a clothing store named "I Love New York."

It turns out that the store is owned by a woman, Flores, who also lives in New York, but now manages two businesses (the other is the restaurant next-door ... live music tomorrow that we'll be checking out!) in Koforidua. We basically got a quick run-through of her life: five children in the US, went through college there, now have successful jobs and she's even got a few grandchildren. :-) She seemed so proud of them. Always good to hear a success story. Plus, she hooked us up with a good tailor to turn the cloth into fashionable Ghanaian clothing.

Anyways, full day's work tomorrow. My dad warned me about Koforidua fever. Apparently, that's one of the first hits on google?

1 comment:

Frank said...

Guess you are really chilling in K'dua. What's up with the team? Hope to see you guys soon.