Ghana Pics

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Off to Kumasi

Apologies for the lack of updates this past week. The work days have been quite arduous--Ministry test surveys started on Tuesday, and are coming along well. Luckily, I have a most excellent research officer to administer the interviews, but there's a bit of footwork on my end to coordinate times and other survey logistics. Also, visits to various Minister offices have turned out better than expected (I'm setting up summer research plans already), and I'm certainly excited to start putting the next phase in motion.

In contrast to previous projects, I've also gone in to Accra almost every night this week, revisiting many of my favorite places. I justify this by the fact that January is technically Harvard's break period, and when I get back (in 10 days, argh) I'll be immediately starting spring semester. Of course, January break hasn't stopped some of my professors from adding on assignments to their not actually finished fall courses. You know who you are. Besides, I'm in Accra. Fieldwork in Africa >> coding/despairing in freezing Cambridge.

Speaking of favorite places, I'll be flying to Kumasi this weekend to see some old friends. I lived there for a couple months in 2009, and it will be interesting to see how things have changed in the past two years. Though some things haven't changed--when I called my old hotel (Sanbra Hotel--really awesome place, will post pics in next update) to book my favorite balcony room, the receptionist recognized my voice within five seconds. That's what I call hospitality. I'll also be sure to take some photos around the city. I haven't really lugged my camera around Accra because I feel that it's riskier and there are fewer photos to take, anyways. But I'll bring it to Ministries next week as I think my funders want photos of the surveys in action. Survey papers are more awesome when there's bokeh involved. Then you throw in the sepia tones. And the crowd goes wild.

Anyways, I'll update again over the weekend. Tomorrow afternoon's flight should be interesting. As far as I know, we'll be running Saab 340 equipment. A versatile prop-jet but we'll also be flying into some thick harmattan dust. I might have an unhealthy fascination with developing-world aviation. Once on a flight from Kumasi to Accra we had to weave around columns of smoke just north of Accra due to forest fires. It was kind of fun. Too bad grad school gets in the way of the pilot's license.

No comments: