Ghana Pics

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Animals

First off, there are lots of animals roaming about the campus of the University of Ghana--primarily, these adorable baby goats that seem to graze on any grass they can find. They are very friendly, though we are advised not to touch them, of course. And at night there are these packs of wild dogs that like to fight, bark, howl outside of our hostel. They were getting quite vicious last night, and it was really sad because it sounded like a group ganged up on just one dog. This is where we all decided to stay in for the night.

The research is going well so far, and I met up with a politics professor at the Institute for Statistical, Social and Economic Research at the University. Got some excellent suggestions on how to approach ethnicity in the ports and harbours (yay real English) labour markets. Tomorrow I'll be meeting with one of his former students who works at the Ports Ministry to see how I can deploy my pilot survey.

Which means this will be my first actual trip into Accra. A group of Canadian students that I befriended earlier this week went into Accra for the first time yesterday. They said they almost died, lol. Apparently cars pack in so that they are actually touching, and then drivers go like 100km/h through any gap. Yay. Did I put life insurance on my grant proposal?

All in all, I am enjoying so far. Today I had lunch with my advisor, who's here teaching a seminar to African researchers, and we had an incredible view of the hills surrounding Accra. The food of course was delicious, especially the fried plantains. Mmmm. Being here makes me realize how incredibly lucky we are to have the things we have in the States. The next time I hear someone complaining about the wireless being down or the shower water pressure being too weak ... oh man.

Oh, and I have a cell phone number in Ghana. E-mail if you want it.

There's also a chance I might see the Black Stars (Ghana's national football team) play Gabon on Sunday in the World Cup qualifiers!! That would be the most awesome thing ever. :)

No comments: