Ghana Pics

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Me ho ye!

In English: I am fine. :) I am still in the process of adjusting, but everything is going fine so far. I have a tiny room at the International Students' Hostel--it was advertised to have AC, but it turns out to only have a fan, lol. Oh well, sleeping in the heat and humidity is a bit more authentic anyways. Especially with the insecticide-treated bed net.

This morning I was able to meet with a professor at the university to discuss my research, and he gave me some very helpful suggestions, readings and contacts, so things on that front are going well. I'll be meeting with another professor this afternoon to discuss survey methodology.

The food here is interesting and curiously spicy, and I'm definitely liking it so far. Favorite dish right now: chicken with jollof rice. Mmm spicy red tomatoes. A couple Summer School students arrived this morning, so hopefully we can start venturing as a group into Accra.

Yesterday I got scammed out of a cedi (about a dollar) by a couple of schoolkids who wanted my photocopy (signature), then wouldn't leave me alone. Ah, the downsides of being a foreigner. My accent must really give me away.

Ahhhh, I am really hungry so I'm off to grab some lunch! There's an authentic Ghanaian restaurant on campus named Tacobell, lol, so maybe I'll give that a try.

Oh, and don't rub your eyes after spraying insect repellant. Bad idea.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad that you are staying safe and watch out for the small children. ;-)

The food sounds very good!