Ghana Pics

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Carla Bruni would be really popular here

(This was supposed to be published yesterday...)

This is a short update, as I've only got about 12 min at the cafe.

Today I got to explore much of the center of Takoradi--the city is so fast-paced
and yet at the same time, very relaxed. Though I did get a few "obruni" (the
"o" is basically silent, hence the title of the post), it was mostly done in a
very friendly manner, with everyone one wanting to know where I came from. As
I mentioned yesterday, at the center of the city is a circular market: there's
a street going around it aptly called Market St. with the outer ring of the
circle being a two-story building that is penetrated by only a few small
entrances to the "interior". I decided to venture into the interior today.

It was incredible: dirty, smelly, mud paths about 2 feet wide, clothes (think
Buffalo Bills Super Bowl champion gear ... yeah...) on lines, rusted bicycles,
children running around everywhere, but at the same time, it was somewhat
serene. A fully African market experience. I entered through the fish market
section, which was quite possibly one of the worst smelling experiences of my
life, but I survived and made my way around. A couple old women tried selling
aluminium cookware to me, but I made some brief Twi conversation with them,
which they found highly entertaining. I think after a few more trips in I'll
start becoming a regular institution there, which will hopefully allow me to
snap some photos without making me feel like an intruder.

I also checked out another hotel right across from the Market, oddly called the
You 84, and have decided that I'll be living there for most of my time in
Takoradi. It's a bit cheaper than the Super Star, but the rooms were actually
nicer, it has laundry/grocery/restaurant and is even close to the
market/action. My room at the Super Star is right across from a place selling
huge speakers (which also seems to be a charismatic church/bar/nightclub?), so
my room is constantly shaking with the bass. Which I thought I could get used
to. But I think I'd rather just get some normal sleep. Ahhh almost out of
time.

Tonight I'm off to the African Beach Resort in South Takoradi for some live
African music/dancing, a nice Continental meal and a Guinness Foreign Extra.
The perfect West African evening right there.

No comments: