Ghana Pics

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Never Ghana Run Around and Desert You

(This was supposed to be posted yesterday, but I was having Internet issues...)

Unless it means I get to go to Takoradi. I think if I harvested all the Ghana puns from that Rick Astley song, I'd be set for the summer. Greetings from Ghana's only twin city: Sekondi-Takoradi! I've only been here for part of an afternoon, but am already liking it more than Accra. The city is very compact, and things are very close to each other. It's very much the urban African experience--they've got a huge circular market right in the middle of the city, there are taxis and tro-tros competing with pedestrians for space everywhere and sidewalks are about a foot wide as vendors have crammed in all around. It's amazing out here. My hotel (the Super Star) is situated right above one of the main roads and I can hear the sounds of Takoradi very well in my room. Also, I will be taking my first hot shower in 3 weeks tonight. That's worthy of its own blog post right there.

Speaking of my hotel, it reminds me of the Matt Damon movie, the Good Shepherd, namely the hotel scene with his son and the KGB agent. My room is basically like that one: dark, small, African-style shutters, sounds of the street flowing in. I've only seen one other "obruni" around, and that was at the grocery store (which, by the way, was fairly Western). I'm so relieved not to be attracting as much negative attention as could be the norm in Accra--people here are very friendly and my rudimentary Twi is drawing lots of smiles. :) I also think my Royal Bank of Canada hat gives me some semblance of authority as well, so people may not harass me as much. Haha, someone in the internet cafe just asked me if I were Chinese or Japanese; not sure if they got the "Philippines" part. Oh well. Close enough, right? I've just realized that this post is going to go in a somewhat reverse chronological order. This morning I took the STC bus from Accra West station--it took about 90 minutes to get there because of all the morning traffic. Ironically the taxi ride there cost more than the actual bus fare (12 cedis vs. 8), but the bus was an adventure in itself. The Bradt guide promised us blaring Nigerian movies on the ride, which I was kind of looking forward to--until I realized that the guide was not underestimating the grating, high-pitched screeching that characterizes these movies. I think Nigerian actresses are judged according to the decibel count of their wailing. Yeah, didn't get very much sleep on the bus.

Which meant that I was able to enjoy much of the gorgeous scenery along Ghana's coast. I couldn't take pictures, though, because the bus was screen-painted with NPP slogans so the windows were not conducive for photos. I think the best part was the ruins of the Dutch Fort of Good Hope (ironically named given its history with slavery), which commands the top of this cliff over the ocean just before--I believe--the town of Winneba. It was absolutely stunning, and you could see the steps carved into the cliffside to get to the top. I'll have to try and visit it when I get back to Accra.

I've scheduled thesis-related meetings with the Takoradi port directors for Monday morning, so I'll get to explore more of the city over the weekend. Maybe even go to the beach. I also think I'll check out other accommodations around here, but I'm now feeling quite attached to the Good Shepherd, I mean, Super Star, Hotel.

Also, the kid across from me is playing Age of Empires III here in the internet cafe. Only like my favourite game ever.

1 comment:

spinmeister said...

Oh AOE III. Gotta love that Microsoft games have made it all the way to Ghana.