Ghana Pics

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It was straight out of a Nigerian film

So I'm briefly back in the Internet cafe.  I was able to secure an appointment with CDD tomorrow, thus necessitating the further copying of my introduction letters, but surprise surprise the copier guy is not around.  Looks like I'll be wandering around campus some more.

Anyways, that alone does not warrant a new post so soon after the most recent one.  On my way back to the cafe I ran into a bit of a West African brouhaha starring a Ghanaian woman and her Nigerian counterpart.  Now, having been in Ghana for about 5 weeks, I get the feeling that a lot of Ghanaians resent Nigerians, accusing them of bringing drugs and crime into the country, partly because of the influence of Nigerian movies.  

Anyways, I come across these two women screaming at each other in the parking lot, the Ghanaian one accusing the Nigerian woman of stealing her wallet amongst other things, all in some rather "colourful" language.  There are a couple other guys nearby.  The Ghanaian woman starts calling over the security guards from the hostel, who are a bit slow to respond to the escalating situation, at which the point the Nigerian woman charges at her and attacks.  Lots of screaming involved, just like in the movies, as well as general pulling of hair and punching.  It was insane. 

Us guys kind of look at each other for a second (i.e. "wtf?"), and then we're able to successfully--though with a bit of hardship--separate the madly flailing pair, who then resort to spitting at each other.  I wonder what Jerry Springer's Akan name would be ...
 

No comments: