Ghana Pics

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Public Health Advisory

So the past few days have been a bit crazy, and as usual I'm running out of time at the cafe so this post won't do very much justice.

Saturday morning the power went out. Saturday afternoon we lost the running water. Saturday evening 60 students from the University of California system inundated our hostel. *cue torrential rain and thunder* Sunday morning the cholera refugees arrived. And that's what we call the Great Public Health Clusterf*** of 2008.

That was ... fun. I suppose I could complain more, but then again we have been very fortunate this summer seeing how most of the country is poorly--if at all--electrified. And last year blackouts were a daily occurrence in Accra. Maybe the power's been on more this year because it's an election year? Certainly a possibility ...

Today I had my first experience of being in an African hospital.

The good news: I don't have hepatitis E.
The bad news: Yet.

Actually I probably have just been having a reaction to the very spicy Ghanaian food, which is often fried. Yeahhhh. Gonna be chicken and rice for a few days. I'd seen the in-house hospital in the Port of Takoradi, which was comparatively nice (by regional standards), so I expected the University Hospital to be fairly similar.

It was ... interesting.

First off, "queuing" was not particularly respected at this hospital. If your shoulder wasn't in front of the other dude's shoulder, you weren't moving. The past few days have been a bit tough on the Harvard group when it comes to social etiquette (yay obruni treatment). This one guy tried to cut in front of three of us, at which point I firmly informed him, "Excuse me, sir, but we are in the queue." (read: Get your ass to the back of the line. Now.) He complied. *victory dance*

Anyways, there weren't traditional wings/wards like you see in an American hospital. I was only in the outpatient area, but it seemed like a total mess. There were people writhing in pain on benches and what not, and only a handful of doctors/nurses. I definitely had to wait about 3 hrs for my consultation, and I'm pretty sure a few people bribed their way to the front of the line.

The lab facilities were also rather dodgy. Basically two really frazzled looking guys in a dim, unventilated room. They actually had sterile-looking equipment, but the environment was pretty dirty. Not to mention patients/staff were just walking in and out of the area.

The maternity ward (basically just an open space) was full on with crying and wailing, and I think there was only 1 nurse on duty for about 40 babies and their mothers. It was pretty sad. Though I did get to make friends with a few babies who were fascinated with the obruni/asian dude.

Two more weeks in Ghana. Just don't get malaria.

No comments: